Monday 14 May 2012

Digging in to a New Plot (Metaphorically Speaking)

My sister, helping me make my new garden plot!
 Digging into a new plot could very well sound like starting something new in life. Or  digging in sounds parallel to going deep, to bring to light, issues in ones life.
 Here is a spot that looks fine, grass is growing, why would there be any reason to question what is underneath. But once that shovel breaks through the turf, then all is revealed: the grass can be pulled back like sod to reveal that the earth below is not as rich and healthy as one would have thought. It is mixed with sand, and rock. Now that it is exposed it reveals why the grass gets so easily scorched and dead half way through the summer there. Also its obvious that this plot needs an overhaul. Dig deep and turn the soil, dig out the rocks, pull the weeds and add to this plot what it is lacking: compost, manure, and black earth.
 So my parallel to this would be: We cant pretend buried hurts, fears, dysfunctions, bitterness, resentment, is OK to leave buried deep as long as they have been there for so long, that it looks OK when it is left alone. In Psalm 19:12 it says- How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults-. Sure you can smile, look put together, but once something or someone treads that plot that you leave alone, it can get disrupted and your thoughts are: Why am I reacting this way? Why am I so sensitive about that? Why does this bother me so much? Why cant I get over this set back? Why can I not progress in this area? What is holding me back.............?
 Dig in. Bring to light in your mind what is not letting you progress in an area of your life. Acknowledge that buried issue, take it out, and hand it over to God. (Eph. 4:21-23 NLT) Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.
 I'm not keeping those big old rocks in my garden! Those weeds are coming out! Because I want beautiful things to grow here. (2 Cor. 5:17) Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old is gone the new has come in.
 And now that I think about this walk I went on recently this spring, I noticed how those who have planted delicate little trees, they placed a little fence around it. Or flower gardens are edged with a little barrier of rocks, or fence. In this same way we need to protect our new growth. It is hard work, and the new growth is delicate. We need to protect it. Checking over the area for the old trying to come up again, or something else corruptive trying to invade the new growth. (Psalm 91:9,10) If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home.
 Its HARD WORK but the result is so much more full filling when the job is done right. The garden flourishes, and thrives, with a thorough job. I've had gardens that I didn't properly maintain. And they were a sad sight, and it was easy to see that they lacked care, and maintenance.
 So throw all spoiled virtue and cancerous evil in the garbage. In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation - garden of your life. (James 1:21 MSG)
Well this is the new spot of a bigger garden for this year. A bigger adventure that I am hoping will ensue a bigger harvest : ) More work I know but I believe it will be worth it. Which goes along with the fact that my gardening feats are not solely inhabited out doors, but also are an ongoing job in my own heart. The words above are really a reflection of my desires and ongoing strivings of my own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks