Tuesday 13 March 2012

M.B.A.H

March Break At Home
 I know I'm definitely not the only family not flying off to a tropical destination this March Break. And so with my kids getting a bit older it makes it a bit tougher for them not to get bored easily. I decided it would be a week of cooking and baking "classes".  Also I made a rule: As much time you spend outside is as much time is allowed on entertainment (movies, wii, Internet). I made a sign out/in sheet to track their time. So far it is working out excellent. It kind of is a whole other activity in itself, teaching the kids to be more aware of time, and I think they think its fun.
 Yesterday morning I had them each figure out a meal they wanted, and I picked one as well.
Here is what is on our blackboard:
This first recipe was my pick. Easy Cabbage Roll Casserole was a great recipe to start off with. It really was easy, and very good.
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
2 med. onions, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tp. salt
1/4 tp. pepper
1 -221ml can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1- 284ml can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup long grain rice
4 cups (we actually ended up using 8 cups, and was still great) shredded cabbage
1/3 cup tomato juice or water
sour cream

> In frying pan over med. heat, cook first 5 ingredients. Drain fat, return to heat, add tomato sauce, water, 1/2 the can of soup, mix well and add rice.

> In slow cooker, place half of meat mixture, then half of cabbage. Repeat
> In bowl combine tomato juice with remaining soup, mix and pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
Very Well done, guys!!

 More to keep them busy: They are both reading a Diary of a Wimpy Kid, book each, and I'm gunna try to throw in some crafty art projects. I'm thinking something to do with the Canadian Geese flying home now. We saw them yesterday and they had some questions. I'm hoping to go deeper with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks