Thursday 13 March 2014

Eager for Green

There has been a string of warm + double digit days in the Celsius and that has gotten me pretty hyped up about this up coming spring. So I got inspired to bring some extra growing green things in the house, by making a terrarium. Its fun and easy to make and there is just something strangely neat about them. Its like your own little personal tropical forest ecosystem, that almost takes care of itself. I even added little plastic forest creatures to make it more fun. Its something easy for kids to make and take care of too. All you need is:
 

 
Need a jar? Just eat all the pickles up! Where to get the charcoal? Check out the pet section for fish tank supplies. This helps keep the environment fresh. Looking for stones? Look in the ditch...or dollar store. Thankfully here in Alberta there is a surplus of them in the streams beds.
Add your supplies like so...
Don't forget some decorations.
Lightly spray the plants and place the lid on. You don't need to water it that often because the water is recycled within the jar. If it looks too damp, leave the lid off for a while. But if its set up right you wont even need to water it after the initial watering.
 
 
Here is another idea for an eager gardener. Place the cut off bottom of a celery plant in a container with water. After a week or so it will start to grow wee little celery stalks. And garlic cloves will sprout bright green stems. Its nice to see bright green growth, this time of year.
 
 
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18
I was thinking about how often I focus too much on the areas I need growth in and working hard at making that happen that I loose sight of what is most important. Or I guess I forgot what the whole purpose was. Its that I am meant to grow in the Lord. And that when I cultivate a closer relationship with the Lord, then growth in my life will happen as a result.
I'm so thankful that the Lord can use a little plant to remind me of  His grace and to help me re-focus.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful and brilliant Morgan! I have absolutely no green in my house unless you count the artificial Christmas tree that is now packed away until next December. Would love to create these incredible jars full of life! Your photos are incredible. So inviting to see all that green in the midst of what sometimes feels to be a forever winter.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks