Thursday 6 June 2013

Do You Like rHuBaRb?

 RhUbArB seems like one of those plants that every other person has but doesn't care to do anything with most of the time these days. I say "these days" because I believe it was used more back in the day when people had less and used more of what was easily and cheaply available.
 This is the rhubarb recipe of spring '13 for me. I've made it 3 times already. Well I should be honest about why though. Its so yummy but...First time I made it and forgot to add baking powder, so I ended up with rhubarb slop. Immediately after that failure I attempted a second go and 15 minutes after I put it in the oven...the power goes out! About a couple hours later it comes back on and I finished baking it. It was good but I knew it could be better. It didn't rise completely. So like I said I made it a third time. Third times a charm, they say!

Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble Cake
for the crumble:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup fine sugar (icing sugar)
for the cake:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup + 5 TB. fine sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup yogurt
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped strawberries

Heat the oven to 350, and call the hydro company to make sure that the power wont be going out, due to "equipment failures" any time in the near future. Grease an 8" round spring form pan. Prepare the crumble by blending the flour and sugar with the butter. Use your fingers to bring the ingredients together to form crumbs. In a bowl mix the 5 TB. of sugar with the rhubarb and strawberries. For the cake, start with the first ingredient listed and beat in each one following, one at a time, until you get to the flour. Then use a spoon to stir the flour in, DON'T FORGET THE BAKING SODA, and salt. Add the yogurt and it should be a thick batter. Scrape the batter into the pan, evenly spread fruit on top of the batter, and top with the crumble. Bake for about 50 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Leave me your comments. Thanks